Painting or color (or colorized) photo of the original railroad bridge over the Ohio River linking Evansville with Henderson. Text on front of card reads, "Ohio River and bridge, Henderson, Ky. Louisville & Nashville R. R." "5.00" is handwritten near the top of the back of the card. View appears to be from Henderson, during sunset or sunrise (red streaks appear in the pinkish-orange sky). Text on back reads, "Louisville & Nashville R. R. souvenir post card." Before this bridge was built, both passengers and freight had to be transferred twelve miles up or down the Ohio River by boat. In 1872 an act of the Kentucky General Assembly incorporated the Henderson Bridge Company for the purpose of constructing the bridge, and in 1879 the L&N secured control of the company. Construction began in 1881 on a single-track line bridge and was finished in 1885 at the cost of around two million dollars. Measuring around 12,000 feet, and 27,995 feet total including its approaches, its channel span of 525 feet was the largest trestle span at that time in the world. It ran from Fourth Street in Henderson across to an area of farmland known as "the river bottoms" southwest of Evansville, crossing Old Henderson Road. The bridge was replaced in 1932 by a larger one built a few yards downstream, which is still used today.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of reproductions of copyrighted material. Material from the Thomas E. and Gina Topper Collection may be protected by the copyright law. The Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library makes this picture available for the personal use of the borrower to be used for private study, scholarship, or research. Any other use may be subject to additional restrictions, including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the EVPL. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of any particular image.