Black and white photograph of the corner of Main and Third Streets. Featured prominently is the Hughes Building, also referred to as the Eichel Block, Intermediate Life Building, the Schultz Building, and the Third and Main building. Several people are shown around the entrance to Schultz's Cloack House at the corner of the building. Many horse-drawn wagons and carriages line the streets, which feature trolley tracks down the middle. The building has a large sign hanging at an angle (to make it readable from both streets) from near the top that reads, "Intermediate Life Building." Written on the back of the photo is, "1912, 3rd & Main." The Hughes Building was built in 1892 with some of the remaining foundation from the original courthouse, which was built at this location in 1819 with the jail and gallows sited behind it. Businesses in the Hughes Building included Schultz's Cloak House (later Schultz's Department Store); Blackman & Lunkenheimer, which sold china, glass, and queensware; Intermediate Life insurance, deJong's, William Hughes Millinery & Furnishings, Smith & Butterfield, a cigar store, and various professional offices. On January 4, 1951, nearly one quarter of 300 block of Main Street burned down in the worst downtown fire in Evansville history. Major fires occured in 1951, 1967, and in 1984, after which the building was razed.