Black and white photograph of the eastern side of the 500 block of Main Street, between Fifth and Sixth Streets. In the very back of the photo a trolley can be seen going down the street. Writing on the back of the photograph reads, "501 Main" "531 Main" at respective bottom sides of the photograph (501 being nearest to the camera). On the corner at 501 was the Manhattan Bar, with the large Sterling Beer sign on the Fifth Street side; it was razed in the 1950s. 503-505 Main housed E.M. Bush Hardware, at 507 stood the Reitz Spiegel Furniture Co. & Gift Store, and at 509 was the Romanesque Savoy Theater. All the buildings from 501-515 were razed around 1980 to make way for a building that has since housed a bank and offices. At 517-519 stood the Montgomery Ward building (also housed the Meyer Candy Co. and Salms Department Store). Abandoned in 1959, today it houses the Gerling Law Offices. Next door at 521-523 is the only other original building on the block that is in the photo. Built in 1898, this neoclassical building was at one time Woolworth's annex, the Keck Commercial Rental Building, and now houses the Robert L. Koch Science Center of Signature School. The Lahr-Bacon Department Store (H.E. Bacon Department Store) on the corner at 527-531 Main was destroyed by fire in 1901 (after having a tower removed and a second story added just a few years previously), and was rebuilt on the spot in 1901 with Woolworth's occupying part of the building and eventually all of it. It was destroyed by fire again in 1990, and today is a parking lot.